turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I amended my 2020 taxes due to the American Rescue Plan unemployment tax break. Do I have to send this 1040-V through the mail? I'm confused.

I got an email from TurboTax saying I should amend my 2020 returns because of the American Rescue Plan unemployment tax break. So I amended them, and not too long after, it was accepted by the IRS. It looks like everything checked out, but TurboTax gave me a 1040-V Payment Voucher at the end of the amendment process, and said I should print it and send it to the IRS? TurboTax made it seem like I needed to do this part through the actual mail for some reason, and now I'm confused. Did I read that part of the process wrong, or do I actually need to send this in the mail? I can't get back to that particular page to reread it.  

I paid $2000 (not actually, I'm just using this number for hypothetical purposes) on my original 2020 tax return. And on the amended return, before I filed, it said I would get $1400 back. That makes sense, except it gave me that 1040-V payment voucher for $600 to send to the IRS. Is this just for the IRS's records so that they know I actually owed $600 for 2020 instead of $2000? Also, why does this part need to be sent in the mail when every other thing was handled through the internet? Or did I just interpret this part wrong, and I should just do nothing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I amended my 2020 taxes due to the American Rescue Plan unemployment tax break. Do I have to send this 1040-V through the mail? I'm confused.

The email refers to, other than the unemployment exclusion, if you qualify for any additional credits and deductions due to a lower AGI, you should amend your federal tax return.  If the only reason you amend is the unemployment exclusion, you do not need to amend. 

For details from the IRS, click here:  No amendment

Per IRS, "There is no need for taxpayers to file an amended return unless the calculations make the taxpayer newly eligible for additional federal credits and deductions not already included on the original tax return."

If you have filed, do nothing.  Let the IRS send you back the refund you overpaid. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The email refers to, other than the unemployment exclusion, if you qualify for any additional credits and deductions due to a lower AGI, you should amend your federal tax return.  If the only reason you amend is the unemployment exclusion, you do not need to amend. 

For details from the IRS, click here:  No amendment

Per IRS, "There is no need for taxpayers to file an amended return unless the calculations make the taxpayer newly eligible for additional federal credits and deductions not already included on the original tax return."

If you have filed, do nothing.  Let the IRS send you back the refund you overpaid. 

Oh, wow. Thank you. I feel a bit embarrassed now. I will do nothing then.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

No worries.  You are welcome. 

I'm in a similar place and am looking for a little clarity. I understand that the amendment is to see if we now qualify for any other adjustments, but I'd like to know why I received a 1040-v and if it means I need to send off anything as instructed. 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

If the only change was to the unemployment, then you would not need to amend. A voucher would mean that the original amount of the refund was reduced.

• If the refund has already been received, then yes, you would have to pay back some of it if you amended.
  • If the refund has not ben received, then the refund should not be included as received. Navigate to Form 1040-X, Line 18, which is: Overpayment, if any, as shown on original return or as previously adjusted by the IRS

To decide if you should amend, use this interactive assistant from the IRS: Should I file an amended return?

For more information, see:

How can I pay my federal taxes?

What are my options for getting my state refund or for paying any state taxes I owe?

@Confused2021

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies