turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I change my tax return from mailed to e-File I found my 5 digit tax code

Help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How can I change my tax return from mailed to e-File I found my 5 digit tax code

By "5-digit tax code" do you mean your 2018 Self-Select PIN where you chose the 5 digits?  If so, then you can use that to verify the return for efiling instead of the 2018 AGI.  You do NOT enter it into the AGI field.  It goes in it's own field.  The screens should ask  you if want to use  the PIN method instead.

Did you actually print and mail the return yourself already or not??  I can't tell for sure from your question.   TurboTax does not mail it for you; you would have had to do it.

If you did print and actually did mail it, do not efile, or you'll confuse the IRS with 2 returns and cause problems.

If you haven't actually mailed it, here's what you can do:

If TurboTax thinks you were finished and your return is closed, and as long as you didn't actually mail anything, here's how to open it to change filing methods.

• At the Tax Home or in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" look for a link "Add a State" and click it.  That doesn't really add one; it just opens the return.
  • Once the return is open go through the REVIEW section to be sure all is still in order.
  • Then go to the FILE section and change the filing method to efile.
  • Then continue on answering all the rest of the screens until you get to a final screen that has a big orange button "Transmit Returns Now" and click that to submit.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies