Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How account for a federal refund I received when amending my return

Here's the situation in order of events:

1. I submitted my 2018 taxes with no issues in April of 2019 and received all fed/state refunds as appropriate within a couple weeks after submitting.
  2. In September of 2019 I received an ADDITIONAL federal refund of 480 dollars. The letter with the refund stated that they made an error in the form 1040, and to correct their mistake they adjusted my schedule D and are sending me 480 dollars as a result.
  3. I realized I needed to amend my 2018 return to account for some 1099-Rs that applied to 2018.
  4. After starting an amended 2018 return in TT, the software updated and TT immediately was showing a refund of 480 dollars (the same amount I got earlier) before I made any of my amends.
  5. I made the necessary amends and am ready to submit. But now I need to figure out how to account for the fact that I already received the 480 dollars, so when I submit my amended 2018 return I don't get that refund a second time. Where do I enter this in TT?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

TurboTax will ask you how much refund you received with your original refund. Add the $480 to the amount your received even though you didn't actually receive it until later. 

Thanks, but when does this question happen? When I'm submitting at the end?

If you are not asked in Step by Step mode, switch to forms mode and open form 1040X. On line 18 near the bottom of the form where it says Overpayment, enter the total amount from the original return plus the IRS adjustment amount. 

I might have to do it the manual way. When doing final review, TT did ask me to confirm my original refund amount for STATE, but I didn't get the question for federal for some reason. 

When I went into the forms as you stated, I wasn't able to modify line 18 directly. I had to use the field above that section titled "original 2018 return overpayment smart worksheet", item A. When I updated this field, it automatically updated line 18 and made my amended refund look correct.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies