turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello I need help. I was accepted for the MD student loan tax credit, but when I applied it to my taxes it didnt appear

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Hello I need help. I was accepted for the MD student loan tax credit, but when I applied it to my taxes it didnt appear

Do you mean the "STUDENT LOAN DEBT RELIEF TAX CREDIT" or the subtraction for "Amount of student loan indebtedness"?

You enter the subtraction first in the Maryland interview.

The amount of student loan indebtedness is entered in the Maryland interview on the screen with the heading "Here's the income that Maryland handles differently". Scroll down to the Education subheading, and click Start or Revisit for "Discharged Student Loan Indebtedness".

This appears as nn on the 502SU (if one, otherwise, on line 13 on the 502).

The credit is later in the interview.

The Student Loan Debt Relief Credit is entered on the screen with the heading "Take a look at Maryland credits". Scroll down to the subheading "Personal, home, and family credits" and click Start or Revisit for "Student Loan Debt Relief Credit".

The credit appears on line 1 of Part CC on form 502CR and carries to line 43 on form 502.

Did you perhaps enter your amount in the wrong place?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lizC
Level 3

My son died last August and I requested that his federal student loan be discharged, which was approved and discharged.  Am I allowed to claim the Maryland subtraction from income for him on form 502SU line nn?  I am confused about this possibly being a subtraction from his income for Maryland.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies