Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

livcali
Returning Member

E-file status?

When I filed there was an error because the control number for my employer was only one letter and it said I needed to file via postal mail. After I downloaded the forms, I returned to the app and I was able to finalize the filing so now it says I’ve already e-filed. Does that mean I can disregard mailing in my tax forms?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

E-file status?

It's pretty hard to e-File and not know it.

Did you click on TRANSMIT MY RETURN ?

E-file status?

@ livcali  asked:  "When I filed there was an error because the control number for my employer was only one letter and it said I needed to file via postal mail. After I downloaded the forms, I returned to the app and I was able to finalize the filing so now it says I’ve already e-filed. Does that mean I can disregard mailing in my tax forms?"

The way to tell if you have actually efiled is to check the return status at the Tax Home.   When you log in, what is shown for return status at the Tax Home--which of these terms:   pending, accepted, rejected, printed, started, ready to mail, or what?   Report back on what you see there, and we can advise you further.

As for the control number, are you referring to a control number in Box D of a W-2?   If so, that info is only for the employer use, and the IRS doesn't care about it.    You can try leaving the Box D control number blank, or according to this FAQ you can enter any 10 digit number in the format 5 digits, space, 5 digits.

See this FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/i-have-no-box-d-or-control-number-on-my-w-2/00/26469

Also, after a successful efile, you should get 2 emails.  Did you get an email?  

The first email should tell you that the efile was successfully transmitted.   That one is followed in 24-48 hours (or sooner) tell you if the efile was accepted or rejected.    You can also check the status by logging back in and looking at the Tax Home.    Report back on what you see at the Tax Home for the return status, and we can advise you further.

livcali
Returning Member

E-file status?

Yes, I did and within the last 15 minutes both federal & state have been accepted. I was just confused because the app said I wouldn’t be able to e-file since my control number was invalid and then it let me e-file.

E-file status?

@ livcali wrote:

Yes, I did and within the last 15 minutes both federal & state have been accepted. I was just confused because the app said I wouldn’t be able to e-file since my control number was invalid and then it let me e-file.

I can't explain that, but I see why it would be confusing.  You can (and should) double-check the efile status by logging in and looking at the Tax Home.  Be sure they both say "accepted", although it's possible one or both may still say "pending", since there can sometimes be a lag before it updates in the account.  If it does still say "pending", just check again later.

livcali
Returning Member

E-file status?

They both say accepted and I have received the separate confirmation e-mails that say both federal and state were accepted. Thanks!

E-file status?

Great!  You're welcome.  Good luck.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies