Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to report my cryptocurrency when I have never withdrawn any money, earned or lossed within the crypto app?I have less money now then I did when I first started.

I have sold crypto within the app, and used that money to buy more crypto but that's the only purchases that were happening is just using crypto to buy more crypto.  Do I still need to report that?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Do I need to report my cryptocurrency when I have never withdrawn any money, earned or lossed within the crypto app?I have less money now then I did when I first started.

Yes, you have to report the sale of cryptocurrencies and the capital gains/losses. You have report the sale even if you use the proceeds to buy other cryptocurrencies.

Please read this TurboTax Help topic on how to report your sales of cryptocurrencies.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So I should hit yes to this question in my tax filing? "Did you sell any of these investments in 2021?" for crypto

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you have sold some cryptocurrencies in 2021, you must answer YES to this question.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies