Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to mail a copy of the corrected federal return including state forms when amending a federal return?

I had to amend my 2019 tax return since I received forms 1098-e & 1099-int after filing online.

My question for the amended federal return is:

Do I have to mail a copy of the corrected federal return including state forms?  I am not sure what to mail out with each amended return.

And turbotax amended my state return also, the only difference is that the amount I owe the state decreased only by $3. Should I mail a copy of my federal return and the corrected state forms, and copies of the forms I received after filing? (1098-e & 1099-int)

Thank you so much for your help, I would really appreciate it. I have never had to amend a tax return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

Do I have to mail a copy of the corrected federal return including state forms when amending a federal return?

No, you do not need to mail in your corrected Federal Form 1040 with your Form 1040-X Amended return. You only need to attached those schedules or forms that changed because of the additional forms. If the form did not have any withholding, you are not required to attach the new forms.

You need to state in your explanation what forms you received and what effect they had on the line number of the Form 1040-X. An example on your situation would be:

• The decrease on Line 1 was due to the additional interest of $xxx.xx and the student loan interest of $x,xxx.xx. The forms were received after the original return was filed.

When you mail in your state amended return you need to include a copy of the Form 1040-X and attachments with the state form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much for your response, it is very helpful. I just have a question, sorry.

So for the federal I do not need to attach state forms? Just Schedule 1 and copies of the forms 1098e & 1099int I received?

Also,

When you said to attach a "copy of the Form 1040-X and attachments with the state form" what attachments are you referring to?

I honestly appreciate your help. Thanks again.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You don't need to attach the state forms to your federal return, just attach the form 1099-INT and 1098 as you mentioned.

You should attach a copy of the 1099 and 1098 forms and the federal form 1040-X to your state tax return.

Also, it is a good idea to send a copy of your original returns with the amended returns.

Also,  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies