Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Problem with how Turbo Tax filed my 2021 return and no help so far

****Still no valid response to this problem****I went through the whole process in 2021 like I have since 2012 or maybe earlier and between reviewing my forms and ensuring everything was correct and understanding how much was due I performed the efile. When the efile came back with a receipt the amount due had increased significantly and I was informed that my bank sent 50% more than I had originally been told was due to the IRS when I pressed  the efile button. In the amount due box it now showed this new amount but my 1040 continued to show the original amount due. No way for me to stop this efile or cancel it. When I bring up the return now it no longer shows this incorrect amount due in that box but shows the original amount we were told was due.  How did this happen? I feel like I cannot trust efiling my return with TurboTax if there is an amount due and there is a serious error in the program coding. I have called TurboTax three times about this. The first time they suggested that I send in the forms again but efilling is no longer an option and the money was gone - it's a 4 figure number so not insignificant or really manageable to live without. I mailed in the forms which were still correct and the IRS shows no record of them. They look the same as what was already filed except on the cover page. Then I tried calling the IRS and the recorded message for the next 4 months was that I should try again later because they were overwhelmed. They didn't even take a message. I called Turbotax again because Turbotax claims to help if you are audited - what about Turbotax malfunctions? The only pages that show this error when I look into Turbotax forms is filing instructions and the Return Summary page. The actual 1040 is correct. I called a second time and again was told to contact the IRS the IRS said they would have someone contact me but it has been 8 weeks and I've heard nothing. I called Turbotax today and responded "yes" to having someone remote into my PC so I can show them but first the person I spoke to said she couldnt do it and then she said she was sending a request but I never received it. I know this works on my end because I've done that with other software companies to resolve any issues so I don't know why she couldn't make it work. Then she told me that the IRS would refund the money once they realized the mistake??? Really? Is that the best you can do? I asked why Turbotax couldn't support me through this and she said someone will call me to help but again I haven't heard from anyone. Has anyone else seen this filing error in Turbotax? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you contacted your bank concerning the amount drafted?  What was their response?

Also, if you are unable to get through to the IRS to discuss this, you can reach out to a Taxpayer Advocate.  To contact them, please see this link.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello, I don’t know why contacting my bank would help? The transfer of funds with the efile is immediate and it was outside of banking hours. This is now almost a year ago since this happened.

The IRS has a transferral sheet from TurboTax that I can access and several of the numbers are wrong. For example salary does not match what is on our W2s or on the 1040. There is about $20k of incorrect additional income reported from Turnotax. I guess I’m going to need to file a revision from paper forms to ensure no data corruption occurs. 

This year I will not be using efile because of this disastrous result. I’ll be looking for a new way to do taxes. I called the IRS and they were supposed to have someone call me but that hasn’t  happened. The government agencies seem to all be in a state of disarray right now. They did provide this transferral record showing the incorrect amounts that were sent or maybe the problem is on the IRS side but I can’t go through all this stress again. 

Oh, if you are suggesting that the bank made an error that is not true. They withdrew what Turbo tax requested while TurboTax, behind the scenes, increased the amount without telling us in advance and it appears to be completely incorrect. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies