Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Paper amendment 1040x: include forms 1099-B, 1099-INT, and the whole farm?

My understanding is that for the original paper tax return filing (1040), one must attach forms W2, 1099-MISC, and forms for other sources of income.  However, forms like the 1099-INT, 1099-B, 1099-DIV do not need to be attached.

We are now having to paper file an amended return (1040-X) because we discovered that we missed reporting an interest (1099-INT) and capital gains (1099-B).  At this time, according to the IRS, our case is under review, has not been processed, and we have not received a refund.

Several calls to the IRS and we are getting different instructions, Google also shows variations, so here are the questions:

1) What is the correct assembly for the 1040-X filing?  Should it include ALL the forms (even those that did not change), OR should it ONLY include the 1040-X and changed tax forms and schedules?

2) Regardless of the answer to 1), should we attach forms 1099-B and 1099-INT? (Even though the original filing did not require them, the 1040-X instructs to include "all supporting documents for the change".)

We ask because TT printed everything so we were not clear as to what to include.

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

1.  Do not amend your return until the first return is processed and your tax liability settled either by your paying tax due or receiving a refund. 

2. Your amended return should include the 1040X and any forms that have changed. Do not include the other forms mentioned. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bsch4477 thank you.  And I have read that previously--not to amend until the first return is processed and liability settled.  However, two separate IRS representatives [phone number removed]) after looking into our filing told us that it is not only okay to amend now, they prefer it.  One actually said that they would encourage us to file an amended return now.

This is inconsistent with posts I've read, so we're not sure what to do.

Regarding #2, you wrote to "not include the other forms mentioned".  Presuming they are the 1099-B and -INT, are they not part of the "supporting documents for the change"?

Not trying to belabor the point, just want to get it right.  Thanks again!

When you are ready to print use the Print to File option.  That gives a cover sheet with list of documents to include and then prints those documents for user to mail.  The cover sheet also gives the mailing address for the forms.

Correct. In your amended return you will be making a statement explaining the reason for your amendment (did not report interest and capital gains income). The IRS already has those forms. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxlady28, thank you.  That is a good tip and we always print to PDF and inspect each page before actual paper printing.  The trouble is that for the amendment, TT prints all the forms, schedules, worksheets, etc., even those that have not changed.  The only thing that the cover sheet, under the "What you need to mail", reads "Be sure to attach all forms or schedules that changed to your amended return".  The statement is ambiguous and silent on forms like 1099-B and 1099-INV, and whether the unchanged should be included.

Further, @Bsch4477, on the "Your amended return checklist" (which follows the TT filing cover sheet), it reads "if you added or changed a tax form (like W-2), attach a copy to each return.  I agree that the IRS already has those forms and it should not be necessary, but if I believe the instruction to the letter, I should be attaching the 1099-B and 1099-INV. 

I am respectful and have confidence in the knowledge of this forum, but TT and IRS have a way of creating confusion.  Worse, most of the advice I see here is to not amend until the IRS communicates, yet the IRS reps are telling us to amend now.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040-X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

Include any new/corrected document only if it shows federal tax withheld, and include in order only those Sequence Numbered tax forms and Schedules that changed or were added due to your amendment.
Attachment Sequence Number is on all the forms and Schedules that come after 1040.
If any forms specify an attachment, put all those attachments at the end in the same order as the forms they go with.

If you are using TurboTax you have to do this by visual comparison. The program won't break out those pages for you, as you have noted.
---
If any forms specify an attachment, put all those attachments at the end in the same order as the forms they go with.
---
Mail to the address shown for your location in the most recent Instructions for Form 1040-X.

@Anonymous 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies