Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

OR State Tax Refund

Hello! I filed my state tax return in Oregon using TurboTax and I was expecting a refund of $800. Instead, this afternoon I see a pending deposit of $4,000.

Any idea about why this could have happened? The only thing different that I did this year was report the taxes I paid on my home. However, the TurboTax software didn't increase my refund as a result. No idea - I'm thinking about calling the Dept of Revenue to see if they can give me an explanation. Shouldn't they also send me a letter about why it increased so significantly? Thank you for any insight about what might have happened here.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

OR State Tax Refund

Did you forget to claim your Oregon Kicker Credit this year?   That would be my guess....

The kicker credit is available only on the return for an odd-numbered year.   If there's no surplus, or if the tax year is even-numbered, no kicker is available.  

For the 2021-23 biennium, OEA has confirmed a kicker of more than $5.61 billion. Taxpayers will claim the kicker as a refundable credit on their 2023 tax return filed in 2024. To calculate the amount of the credit, taxpayers multiply their 2022 tax liability before any credits – line 22 on the 2022 Form OR-40 – by 44.28 percent.  Check last year's OR-40 line 22, and multiply it by 44.28% - that is probably the amount of the additional refund.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

OR State Tax Refund

Did you forget to claim your Oregon Kicker Credit this year?   That would be my guess....

The kicker credit is available only on the return for an odd-numbered year.   If there's no surplus, or if the tax year is even-numbered, no kicker is available.  

For the 2021-23 biennium, OEA has confirmed a kicker of more than $5.61 billion. Taxpayers will claim the kicker as a refundable credit on their 2023 tax return filed in 2024. To calculate the amount of the credit, taxpayers multiply their 2022 tax liability before any credits – line 22 on the 2022 Form OR-40 – by 44.28 percent.  Check last year's OR-40 line 22, and multiply it by 44.28% - that is probably the amount of the additional refund.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

OR State Tax Refund

You're absolutely correct. The 44.20% is precisely the amount i received in addition. I'm new to state taxes (2nd year filing them) and had no idea about a "kicker" credit. I'm glad they gave it to me by default since I don't remember being prompted on TurboTax. Thank you for the help!

OR State Tax Refund

your final state refund amount announced by Turbotax would include that amount ... ...

I guess you forgot to file for it.

did you import a 2022 tax return?

@klopow 

OR State Tax Refund

I went back into TurboTax and went through all of the steps. It does actually mention the kicker credit, but I must have ignored it thinking it didn't apply to me. Yes, I did have my 2022 state tax return uploaded since I used TurboTax last year too.

I revised the information in TT, and now the refund shown on the return matches what was sent to me today.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies