Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zymometer
Returning Member

Not getting $20,000 on IT-201 line 29 for inherited ira when the person passed away after 70.

My wife liquidated an inherited IRA in New York for a person over 70. We expected to see $20,000 on line 29 of the IT-201 since the IRA amount was higher than that. After entering all of the information and verifying it was correct line 29 is not populated with any amount. I select non of the above for the distribution from and then checked the box inherited this ira. On the retirement income results, it puts the total distribution amount under traditional and roth ira and not under pension and annuity distribution. What am I missing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Not getting $20,000 on IT-201 line 29 for inherited ira when the person passed away after 70.

My guess is that what you are missing is that you have to enter some information about the distribution in the New York interview. On the "Changes to Federal Income" page, under "Wage and Retirement Adjustments," click the Start or Revisit button for "Received retirement income." On the next screen, "Retirement Distributions Summary," click the Edit button for the inherited IRA distribution, then enter the information requested on the next page. The $20,000 exclusion should then appear on IT-201 line 29.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Is your wife over age 59 1/2?

zymometer
Returning Member

No, she is not. But the age of the person who she inherited the account from was over 70 so she should get the exclusion on line 29.

You are correct. I will try to get someone who does NYS returns to help you. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

My guess is that what you are missing is that you have to enter some information about the distribution in the New York interview. On the "Changes to Federal Income" page, under "Wage and Retirement Adjustments," click the Start or Revisit button for "Received retirement income." On the next screen, "Retirement Distributions Summary," click the Edit button for the inherited IRA distribution, then enter the information requested on the next page. The $20,000 exclusion should then appear on IT-201 line 29.

zymometer
Returning Member

You are completely correct. Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies