turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If nothing changes for my amended return, do I still need to send in an amended form?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

If nothing changes for my amended return, do I still need to send in an amended form?

No, actually you do not have to file an amended tax return if you do not want to, where the net result is either no change to your original tax refund (or original tax liability), or where it results in the government owing you money (i.e., additional refund).

While some tax prepares will disagree on this point, and say that if anything changes from the original tax return a taxpayer should always and everywhere amend that tax return, this simply not the case.

You've met your legal burden and regulatory obligation to file a tax return by the act of filing your original documents.  If something later changes, but does so in a way that it either does not affect your tax liability / refund, or the result is in the favor of the government, then you don't (legally) have to file that amended tax return if you do not want to -- or if you decide it would not be worth your time and trouble.

Thank you for asking this very important question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies