Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need to deduct the state taxes I paid last year. The label for where to enter this is, "Payments for 2015 or a prior year .." Why would this say 2015? Is that a typo?

I am filling out my 2017 taxes.  I need to deduct the state taxes I paid last year which was 2016 state taxes.  I know I need to go to Federal Taxes > Deductions and Credits > Estimates and Other Taxes Paid > Other Taxes Paid however the label for where I would enter the 2016 state taxes paid is actually labeled, "Payments for 2015 or a prior year state or local income taxes paid in 2017"  Why would this say 2015?  Is that a typo?  If not and that is the area to enter 2015 state taxes paid, where do you enter state taxes paid for 2016 state taxes?  Last year's state taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Need to deduct the state taxes I paid last year. The label for where to enter this is, "Payments for 2015 or a prior year .." Why would this say 2015? Is that a typo?

No, it is not a typo.  That is actually the place to enter any taxes that were assessed for 2015 or a prior year, but paid in 2017. 

The entry you need is actually just two lines above the one you asked about.  It is labeled:  Balance Due on your 2016 state taxes paid in 2017.

Click on the thumbnail picture below for a visual reference.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

No, it is not a typo.  That is actually the place to enter any taxes that were assessed for 2015 or a prior year, but paid in 2017. 

The entry you need is actually just two lines above the one you asked about.  It is labeled:  Balance Due on your 2016 state taxes paid in 2017.

Click on the thumbnail picture below for a visual reference.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies