Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need To Adjust W4 Tax Withholding For Balance Of 2024

I have been using TurboTax to file my income tax returns for the past eight years.  I was assessed a penalty for my 2023 return because of ostensibly underwithholding of tax.  I assume this may be because of additional interest I earned from holding bank certificates of deposit (CDs) (time accounts) the last three months of 2023.  I continue to hold these CDs in 2024, and probably will for the rest of this year.

I began the process of trying to complete an IRS Form W-4 as well as their online calculator, but the instructions are confusing.  On the IRS W-4 calculator, do we declare our gross or net wage earnings?  I could not find anywhere on the IRS website which discusses this.  So I then printed out the relevant IRS worksheets from their website, and proceeded to fill in the hard-copy forms amounts, but once again, the offered instructions are confusing.

I am retired and receive both a state of NC pension as well as Social Security benefits, and want to make sure I'm being withheld for taxes at the correct level.  Can anybody help me with this or answer any of the questions above?  Thank you for any help.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

When the IRS Tax Withholding Estimator asks for your wages or salary, enter the gross pay.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

When the IRS Tax Withholding Estimator asks for your wages or salary, enter the gross pay.

Thanks so much.  I actually figured this out on my own after doing a little more digging on the IRS website.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies