Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My w2 wasnt submitted by my exemployer to the irs is this normal

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

No it is not normal.  If taxes were withheld in box 1 and/or Social Security and Medicare was withheld in box 4 & 6, then it would be a violation of the law not to submit it to the IRS and Social Security Administration.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

So if i submitted the irs with a copy of the w2 i was given by my exemployer how long til i recieve refund

No telling.  Only the IRS would know.  They can hold your tax return until receive verification from the employer   Do not send the IRS anything that they do not request from you.  If they want a copy of your W-2, they will ask for it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The employer may have mailed in the forms and the IRS either lost it or it has not been entered into the system yet ... all the more reason to efile those forms.  If the IRS requested a copy of the W-2 and you sent it that will get the return processing again however there is no set timeline for the refund to be released since a human must now get involved and the IRS is understaffed ... so expect it to take 6 weeks or more and be thrilled when it comes in sooner.... just check the IRS site every couple of days for a status update.  https://www.irs.gov/refunds

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies