Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son is amending his return so we can claim him. what if they process our return before his amended return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Melaine

My son is amending his return so we can claim him. what if they process our return before his amended return?

If you have already sent in your return without him as a dependent, you can always do an amendment to correct for this and, it would be best to wait until you receive your refund to do an amendment on your return to prevent delays.  Remember, you have three years to amend a return so you can wait for your refund before doing the corrections.

If  you have not yet sent off your return, it would be best to wait for his amendment to be processed.  If his amendment is not completed by the end of March I would suggest you contact the IRS customer service line at 1 800 829 1040, for updates so you can process yours before the deadline.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Melaine

If you have already sent in your return without him as a dependent, you can always do an amendment to correct for this and, it would be best to wait until you receive your refund to do an amendment on your return to prevent delays.  Remember, you have three years to amend a return so you can wait for your refund before doing the corrections.

If  you have not yet sent off your return, it would be best to wait for his amendment to be processed.  If his amendment is not completed by the end of March I would suggest you contact the IRS customer service line at 1 800 829 1040, for updates so you can process yours before the deadline.

Hal_Al
Level 15

It does not matter. The IRS will process your return without coordinating with his return. It he never gets around to amending, 9-12 months later you will both hear from the IRS.

You do not need to wait until his amended return is fully processed, or even submitted, to claim him on your return. But, you cannot e-file. You will have to mail in a paper return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies