Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My previous employer has not sent my w-2 and does not want to answer the phone, I have been on hold with the IRS for over an hour trying to resolve this, what do I do???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

My previous employer has not sent my w-2 and does not want to answer the phone, I have been on hold with the IRS for over an hour trying to resolve this, what do I do???

You have some options.  I realize you have tried with the employer so the steps below are just to give you the full list.  If you have all the necessary data from your final paystub you can create a substitute W-2.  You will have to mail your tax return.

If you still want to file:  TurboTax will help you fill out a substitute w-2.  You will need your last paystub and employer information.

How to fill out a substitute W-2 (Form 4852)

1. Go through the W-2 entry section and enter the information from your last paystub.  
  2. On the follow-up pages look for the page titled "Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W-2?"  
  3. Select "Substitute form - I didn't get a W-2 from my employer and need to complete a substitute form."  
  4. This will take you through the steps to complete the Form 4852 so you can file your return.
  5. Continue to follow the screens and enter all requested information

Other steps you can take if you are unable to obtain a copy of your W-2 from your employer are listed below.

1. Step 1: Contact your employer’s payroll provider, if applicable.  
    1. Did they use a service for preparing your wage statements? 
    2. Info can often be found on your wage statement (paycheck stub).
    3. If the employer is no longer in business or you can not reach someone:
  2. ​​​​​​​Step 2: Call the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. When calling, be ready to give the following information:
    1. Your name, address and Social Security number.
    2. Your employer's name, address, city, state, zip code and telephone number, even if your employer has gone out of business.
    3. Dates of employment.
    4. An estimate of the wages you earned and the federal income tax withheld. 
      • Your estimate should be based on your final pay stub of the year or earnings statement, if available.
      •  The IRS will call the employer or payroll provider and advise them to send you your W-2s.
  3. Step 3: Request or download Form 4506-T. You will receive W-2 transcripts which will have information reported by your employer to the IRS free of charge. The last four of the EIN will be present (not the full number) 
    • This transcript is available for up to 10 prior years using Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T.You may register to use Get Transcript Online to view, print, or download all transcript types listed below. 
    • If you're unable to register or you prefer not to use Get Transcript Online, you may order a tax return transcript and/or a tax account transcript using Get Transcript by Mail or call 800-908-9946. Please allow 5 to 10 calendar days for delivery. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies