egaryp

My mother passed away April, 2016, I am her executor and had an EIN for her estate. Will Turbo Tax allow me to file completely as we did when she was alive?

Carl

I'm sorry for your loss. You "may" be filing two returns for her.  If she passed in 2016 you may have to file a personal 1040 tax return on her behalf, that includes everything up to the date of passing, or the date the estate was established. For that, you can use the same turbotax program (for the current year of course) as was used in the past for filing her personal returns.

For the estate, you have to use another program called TurboTax Business, which is different from Home & Business. TurboTax Business is for filing returns for a C-Corp, S-Corp, Partnerships, and Estates. Keep in mind that for both types of returns, if the state taxes income, you'll have to file for that too, and the program will be able to handle that.

TurboTax Business is not available as an online product, and it's not available for MAC computers. Windows only. You can buy TurboTax Business on CD in a local store, or you can buy it online at https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/?srqs=null&cid=ppc_gg_b_stan_all_na_Brand-Business_...   If you purchase it online, then after you pay for it you will be able to download the CD installation setup program to your computer, and install it on your computer that way. Just remember, TurboTax business is for *windows only*.

Carl

fanfare

An estate tax return is required only if the estate had yearly income of $600 or more.