Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My mother claimed me as a dependent on her tax return. But I am not in school, I am 22 and do not live in her house hold. Should I amend my return? I normally get her to do my taxes but it struck me o

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My mother claimed me as a dependent on her tax return. But I am not in school, I am 22 and do not live in her house hold. Should I amend my return? I normally get her to do my taxes but it struck me o

If your 2019 gross income was more the $4,200 then she cannot claim you.  If she did then see needs to amend and remove you.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

My return was a little over 1000 but I roughly made 22,000 for the year. I just don’t want to be in trouble for anything. But she only gave me 500 from my return. 

If you are 22 and not a full-time student and earned $22,000 then NOBODY can claim you as a dependent.

If your  mother does not amend to remove you and pay any additional that that she owes the she can expect an IRS audit in about 1-2 years and a big bill for the back tax plus a lot of penalties and interest. 

Since you are required to file a tax return the IRS will match your SSN with her return but that takes a year or two.  She needs to fix it now before then IRS figures it out.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies