franco95

My mom sent in amendment recently to take me off her taxes. Do I have to wait to file taxes?

My mom claimed me as a dependent so she did an amendment so I could file my taxes and claim my son.
MinhT

The IRS will take between 12 and 16 weeks to process your mom's amended tax return. During this time you cannot e-file as your return will be rejected due to the fact that you are claimed as a dependent on your mom's original return.

You'll need to file by mail. You prepare your return, indicate that you are not claimed as a dependent by someone else and claim your son as a dependent. You print your return, sign it and mail to the IRS address indicated by TurboTax.

The IRS will also take 12 to 16 weeks to process your paper return, And by that time, they would have processed your mom's amended return. And everything would match.