Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 2023 Iowa state tax refund was filed on March 17,2024. The state website is saying mine is taking longer for additional review. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have not received any income tax back and I am due for a refund. I do not owe the state any money and turbo tax says my refund was accepted. I paid extra for turbo tax to represent me if this should happen. How do I go about doing that? Should I even still be expecting a refund at this point?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My 2023 Iowa state tax refund was filed on March 17,2024. The state website is saying mine is taking longer for additional review. Has anyone else experienced this?

Some returns are randomly selected for review. It doesn’t necessarily mean that you have a problem with your return. Be patient. You need to do nothing now. 

@ sirusnicky wrote:  My 2023 Iowa state tax refund was filed on March 17,2024. The state website is saying mine is taking longer for additional review. Has anyone else experienced this?
I have not received any income tax back and I am due for a refund. I do not owe the state any money and turbo tax says my refund was accepted. I paid extra for turbo tax to represent me if this should happen. How do I go about doing that? Should I even still be expecting a refund at this point?

"Should I even still be expecting a refund at this point?"

You said the state website merely said your return is taking longer for additional review; it didn't say you weren't getting one.  No one ever knows the results of their returns until the state has finished processing their return. But if you are due a state tax refund, you should eventually get it.   It just takes longer sometimes.   Whether or not the state changes anything is unknown.   If the state changes something, then you should at some point get a letter.

"TurboTax says my refund was accepted."

The term "accepted" in TurboTax refers only to the efile status; it does not refer to the merits of the return.    If TurboTax says your efile was accepted, that means the Federal or state tax agency received the return in the proper format so that the tax agency could begin processing it.   TurboTax receives no further communication from the tax agency during or after processing about whether a refund was approved or not, or changed.

If you wish, you can phone the Iowa Dept. of Revenue to see if they will give you any info on what is causing the delay.   They may or may not be able to.

FAQ:  How do I contact my state department of revenue?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/state-taxes/contact-state-department-rev...

If you are having an economic hardship, I don't know if Iowa has a state taxpayer advocate service or not, but if it becomes necessary, you could contact the office of your local state representative to see if they can assist in tweaking things with the tax agency.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies