Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moving from New York to Florida

Hello,

Here is my situation...

I moved from New York City to Florida on May 28th 2023. My company is based in NY State but I believe they have an entity in Boca Raton Florida. When I look at my work location it says I am based in my home address in Florida and assigned to a Boca Raton office.

I stopped paying NY state and City Taxes starting in June 2023, However, my W-2 is showing my state wages for the entire year in box 16.

Is this correct? Should my company only have showed my state wages up to May 31st in box 16? Did they make a mistake? Can I fix this when filing my returns?

Please let me know and thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

New York has an unusual rule that the amount in box 16 of a W-2 must be the same as the amount in box 1. Any adjustments are made on the New York tax return. When you do your New York part-year resident tax return it will ask you how much of your income was earned in New York.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

New York has an unusual rule that the amount in box 16 of a W-2 must be the same as the amount in box 1. Any adjustments are made on the New York tax return. When you do your New York part-year resident tax return it will ask you how much of your income was earned in New York.

Thank you for clarifying. That is a weird and confusing rule. Luckily the NYC local wages matches the amount for the period I lived in NYS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies