I put on my W2 that I was going to be claimed by someone else as a dependent. I was not claimed. I was wondering if this will effect whether I will be getting the COVID-19 stimulus check or not?
Yes, if you indicated on your tax return that you are a dependent of another, you will not receive a stimulus payment.
If you are not a dependent, I recommend amending your return to change that status.
If it is accepted and contains incorrect information, you can amend the return and re-file it. Please note that IRS does not accept e-filed amended returns, so you will need to print and mail your amended return. IRS takes 12 weeks or more to process amended returns.
To Amend your return in Turbo Tax Online follow these steps:
1. Sign in to your Turbo Tax Account
2. Scroll down to Your tax returns and documents and select Amend (change) 2019 return, then Amend using Turbo Tax Online.
3. Select the reason you are amending and Continue
4. Answer the questions about your Federal return, (there may be no changes) then begin amending your State return when it says "Lets get started on your state taxes...."
To Amend your return in Turbo Tax Desktop;
1. Open your tax file you need to amend and select Online and Check for Updates.
2. Go to the Federal Taxes tab (or the Personal Tab, if you are using Home & Business) and select the Other Tax Situations Tab.
3. Scroll down to Other Tax Forms and Select Start next to Amend a return.
4. Answer the appropriate questions for the State and Federal Returns.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Will I need to notify the IRS in any way after the change had been made so they send me the check? Or will they automatically send it after it's processed? Thank you for the quick response🙂