Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Me and my wife (international students) mistakenly filed jointly as resident aliens which we should not have done! How do we fix it?

We mistakenly filed a joint return as resident aliens (we're both international students). Now, I'm trying to fix it. I understand that I have to file a 1040X form for each of us separately to fix the original tax return in addition to a newly filled 1040NR form. I've tried to use Sprintax to do it. Sprintax doesn't ask about my wife's information when I'm filling my return. It asks for some info from the original return but it's not clear how it calculates the final refund. In the end, it seems like I have to pay for all the extra money we received from the original return. Does any one have any idea how we should go from jointly married filed as residents to separately filed nonresidents? My main question is how we should include the original return here now that we're filing separately? I'd appreciate any suggestions. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Me and my wife (international students) mistakenly filed jointly as resident aliens which we should not have done! How do we fix it?

@peyman_np , do you still need help on this ?

(a) when did you enter the USA and on what visa ( F-1 or J ); are you still on that original visa; Which country are you a citizen of ?

(b) when did you wife enter the USA and  on which visa ; what is her current visa; her country of citizenship ?

(c) do you have any children whom are born in the USA or otherwise eligible to be citizens of USA ?

(d) what is your & your wife's source(s)  of income ( TA, school job or what )?

(e) are you  and / or your wife receiving any  foreign scholarship etc 

(f) have you received refund  for your 1040 filing ?  How about any stimulus  check

(g) do you  and your wife each have SSN ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies