turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Martak7

Maryland tax return letter

So I filed my 2021 taxes on February 28th, state and fed both accepted within 20 minutes. I’ve filed my 2023 taxes on February 2nd and again state and fed both accepted even quicker than 20 minutes. I’ve had absolutely no movement for either return for state or fed. I did talk to irs yesterday and they said they can only give me information on my 2021 because it’s a past year return.. they said it started “processing” on the 2nd of February. ANYWAYS… this letter just came in from the comptroller of MD.. anyone have any insight? Is this an audit? Or is this just because they have over 400,000 MD returns backed up and they are too busy to get to any prior year return right now? I thought if it was an audit they would send a letter stating clearly I am being audited and ask me for the required documentation right away? Any help is super appreciated as I’m absolutely stressed out now lol

IMG_2534.jpeg

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Maryland tax return letter

This is a letter about your 2021 MD return. It takes tax agencies one to four years to enter tax returns, evaluate them, cross reference them, and then decide if they want to send you a letter asking for more information or whatever. In my experience, a lot of such letters come from the IRS in the year after you file, whereas for California, they might send dunning letters four years after you file.

However, since I assume that you filed your 2021 return, you can be reasonably sure that this is probably not identify theft, so just put this letter in your tax file (no, not the circular file), and go on with your life.

If they later send you a letter, then answer it; otherwise, don't worry about it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies