Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Maryland Refund Status - still not processed

I efiled my maryland taxes and it was accepted Jan 23rd, 2023. When I go to maryland's website it still says "not processed" but Turbotax says its been accepted ( and I got email confirmation it was accepted), how long is maryland taking to process returns? Its not even a big refund so not sure why it hasnt even been at least processed yet. Is it possible it didnt get received even though I got confirmation it was accepted?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

39 Replies

Same thing here still not processed as of today. Did yours update yet already got federal refund 

i used HR Block software so it's not related to software from what I can't tell. Only question I could find on it after google search was your post 

We called this morning and they told us that Maryland did not actually start processing returns until Jan 25th (even though everything we saw said that MD would start processing the same day as Fed) - they told us to call back at the end of the week if it still has not been processed (fingers crossed) - has anybody gotten different info on when they actually started processing returns?

I am in the same boat. I initially had both my fed and md filing rejected because of an issue in TT. I refilled late (or early the next day) and both were accepted. So my MD was accepted on 1/26/203.

But the Maryland website says that it is still not processed. Just checked again.  

And of course, I waited on the phone for a long long time and then gave up trying to speak to anyone.

@jesslh15 When you say "they", Did you call Turbotax or Maryland tax services? Just curious because I'm going through the same issue.

@Bfletcher2129 sorry - I called Maryland Tax Services

@jesslh15 Okay. Thank you. I've been trying to reach them all day with no luck. I will update if I'm able to reach anyone and share the info they give me.  

I will watch this thread, but I think I will give them until the weekend and then try calling them next monday if we do not get some answers here. I am referring to the Maryland Tax service. I did send them an email and ask for clarification on this. I will share any response I get.  My experience in the past with the MD tax people is that they usually echo what the "where is my refund" says. Which means they say they do not see it in the system as of yet. I had an issue last year because of the one form from TT that was late. I ended up filing a paper copy (twice actually) and they did manage to help me.

@jesslh15 I was finally able to reach someone at MD tax services. They weren't much help, but I specifically asked when the processing of tax returns started and was told processing started the 23rd and even though it's taken more than 3 days for processing to give it a little more time and they also couldn't give me any more info as far as timing. Just told me to "wait longer".

@Bfletcher2129 we were told processing started on Jan 25th lol

Appreciate the update, I guess we all just have to wait at this point

I got a secure email back from the MD tax people. The email I sent them said that TT said MD accepted my return on 1/26/23 at 1AM. 

Here is their response:

"Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting the Comptroller of Maryland.

Please send another email on Friday asking the same question.  It takes a couple of days for returns to show up in our system.

Thanks, and have a great day!"

"Accepted" only means the tax return is downloaded into their system.  It sounds like Marylands system started accepting returns on 1/25/23 or 1/26/23.  

"Processing" means examining the return, checking for errors, and deciding whether to pay a refund or hold for more information.  Even in the best of times, processing takes 2-3 weeks.  There may be delays at busy times, especially at the start of the season (when they have a backlog of fresh returns and they are just finding out if their internal processes updated for 2022 actually work) and around the April 15 deadline when there is another rush.

Then if a refund is released, it may take another week to show up in your bank account.  

Thanks for the additional information.

This one just seems weird because we always file around the time processing opens and usually within a week have our state refund back - just feel like something else is going on that is not being disclosed

Glad I'm not the only one who is delayed. Mine was accepted on 1/23, and still no updates on Maryland's website regarding the status. My Fed was processed with no issues and should post to my account tomorrow. Backwards this year, because state always comes first. 

HopeS
Expert Alumni

You can check the status of your current refund online using this link:

Income Tax Refund

or by calling the automated line at (410) 260-7701 or 1-800-218-8160. Be sure you have a copy of your return on hand to verify the information. You can also e-mail us at taxhelp@marylandtaxes.gov to check on your refund. Remember to include your name, Social Security number, and refund amount in your e-mail request.

If you choose direct deposit, we will transfer your refund to your bank account within a few days from the date your return is accepted and processed.

Electronic filers

We usually process electronically filed tax returns the same day that the return is transmitted to us. If sufficient time has passed from that date, call our Refund line.

@akw1206

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies