turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jon4uu

Letter received about amended return.

I filed an amended return for 2021 back in June of 2024 and the online status still shows pending as of Oct. 8th 2024. My federal refund on the amended return was suppose to be 4500.00 and the CA state was 1700. I received the CA refund within a few weeks of submitting the return, however I just received a letter from the IRS regarding the federal return stating this:

We've adjusted your account as you requested. This adjustment didn't change your tax or credits. No further action is required.  What the heck? No explanation given. Are they saying I'm not getting the 4500.00?? The refund was clearly due to me because my (government) employer overstated my income for that year and sent me a letter stating such. I sent a copy of that letter along with the 1040x. I am unable to talk to a real person about this. Also, the online tracker still shows the amended return as in progress, which doesn't make sense. Anyone have a suggestion?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

@jon4uu wrote:

....my (government) employer overstated my income for that year and sent me a letter stating such. I sent a copy of that letter along with the 1040x

Could you not get a corrected tax reporting statement from your employer?

The chances of someone at the IRS actually reading the letter are fairly remote.

You will probably have to call the IRS to get this resolved.

jon4uu

I was given a corrected W-2 from my employer, along with the explanation of what happened which was attached to my amended TurboTax 1040x. My amended return stated I would receive a substantial refund from both the Feds and California. I received my CA refund a few months ago, but now the IRS is telling me they don't owe me a refund, but without any kind of explanation. I cannot figure a way to talk to a real person. The 1-800 number for amended returns just sends me in circles. Welcome to the US government.

You need to keep trying to get through to someone at the Service.

I do believe that a 2021 amendment will efile properly in 2024.  I would suggest that you print and mail the tax returns.

jon4uu

That's the first thing I did. My amended return said I would receive a refund of over 4500.00. 3 months later I received a letter from the IRS stating no credit is due- without any explanation or way to talk to anyone. I have to write them a letter requesting they call me. Such BS

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies