turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tyn_20

Letter 4464C

Hello! I’m here to share my story of our taxes from 2023 tax return. Everything started out normally, we submitted our information as of February 5th and the IRS tracking app said they had received it. As of March 18th we received a CP05 notice, which basically the IRS lets people know their tax return is under review for any reason. It can be anything from incorrectly submitted information to simply getting randomly selected for verification. After waiting 60 days we received another letting in June asking for another 60 days, and then another one in July, however the one from July was labeled as 4464C. We decided to contact the IRS and they told us that it was hard to know what was going on since our refund had been sent to a special department called the department of integrity and verification. The lady gave me their phone number to call them, and the hours of which they operate. I called the number around 20 different times since they have the automated voice and were too busy to pick up and request you call back at another time, and will hang up. Finally I got a person and found out this whole issue is because of my husband’s employers not submitting their paperwork. (The former employer sold the company to the new one and they’re family friends, whom share the same accountant; which is who messed everything up…) This is an easy fix for us since we have a personal relationship with his employers and we’ve been working to get things squared away. The solution is to either 1.) have the accountant submit the proper paperwork 2.) have them fax, or submit a letter with letter head or 3.) submit paystubs from the entire year. The former employer chose to speak with the accountant who fixed it, and after calling 2 weeks later the IRS said theirs was in the system and approved- but the current employer still needed to fix things on their end. So as of Friday the current employer has submitted option 2. If you’re in this situation be forewarned that we’ve 

1. waited over 9 months to hear any real information, so buckle up for a long and quiet ride.

2. Been told that if we submit the paperwork ourselves they have 120 days legally to review it before giving us a single penny. 
3. they did tell me if the employer does it there’s a chance it will fix things sooner- but it also can still take 120 days due to how their system updates. 

Also let me put in as a disclaimer *the IRS reps have repeatedly apologized to me because our case is so very simple. Normally these things resolve quickly, but issues can occur and the reason they request 60 days to 180 is to give the employer time to fix it on their end. They told me they mail them letters explaining the situation. In our circumstance the former employer retired and left for vacation for 6 months to another state and never stopped by their home! The other never changed their address after moving. Try to be patient with the reps when calling and I promise, you’ll get kinder better answers. I hope this can be of some help to someone out there. If you have any questions feel free to ask. No we still have no refund, but we know what’s wrong and have fixed it and should see it any day now- I will update when we get it. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies