trdaniels251

Last year my mother paid 3K for aide as she is 95, but we paid the balance $4000. She files her own income tax. Can we file the balance our ours.

the house is in her name & she is head of household, I file my own taxes, but wanted to know if I can put her down as a dependent under medical expenses.

KrisD

You can claim the medical expense only if your mother is your dependent.

Unlike most dependents, your parents do not need to live in your home in order to be your dependent, but there are other requirements, such as Support and Income.

Here are some links that might help you determine if you should claim your mother as your dependent.

Steps to claiming an elderly parent as a dependent

Can you claim a parent as a dependent?

IRS Pub 17

KrisD

Can you claim a parent as a dependent?

IRS Pub 17