Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It’s been 3 months since our returns were mailed. Is this really a delay or am I entitled to resources to find out what is going on. Received via Where’s My Refund

“Received” status for nearly all of the 3 months with no movement to “processed” and can not get any connection with human aid. Automated system not helpful. There’s got to be a way to contact someone for answers and expectations.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

It’s been 3 months since our returns were mailed. Is this really a delay or am I entitled to resources to find out what is going on. Received via Where’s My Refund

So if the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool has been showing your mailed return was received, then you at least know they have it.

Usually a mailed return can take at least 6 weeks to process.   If yours is going on 12 weeks, you can phone the IRS, if you wish, and speak to a live agent to inquire about the delay.   You have to "trick" their automated phone menu to get to a live agent.   I'll tell you the steps below to get through the menu.

This IRS FAQ gives some situations where it might take longer than usual to process a return.
https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

If you don't get good results when talking to the IRS, and if you are having an economic hardship, we can tell you how to reach the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service for assistance.   But first, here's how to normally reach someone at the IRS:

IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but expect a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies