turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ctsoi87

Is there a way to download an original tax return after it is amended? Being asked for original tax return and when I click "Download tax PDF" it only gives the amended.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Is there a way to download an original tax return after it is amended? Being asked for original tax return and when I click "Download tax PDF" it only gives the amended.

TurboTax Online saves only the most recent version of your tax return. It does not retain previous versions. When you amended your return, the amended version was saved and replaced the original version. If you did not save a copy of the original version on your own computer before you amended it, there is no way to get the original version from TurboTax.

I'm pretty sure that a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS will have the information from your original return, but it is not in the format of the actual forms. A copy of your tax return from the IRS might be the original version. A copy of a tax return costs $43, and it takes up to 75 days to get it. Go to the following link on the IRS web site for information about how to get a transcript or a copy.

Topic No. 156 Copy or Transcript of Your Tax Return – How to Get One

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

"Being asked for original tax return"

Who is asking for the original return, and why? The whole point of an amended return is that the original was wrong. Why does anyone want a copy of a tax return that's known to be wrong?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies