Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

maillyl
Returning Member

IRS doesnt have anything from my tax return

This year , I couldn't file online because IRS was giving me an error about other persons claiming my kids. I got the same error previous years for some reason. So I sent my tax return 2021, and 9 weeks later still not showing anything regarding my tax return. After days of trying to contact IRS I was able to talk to someone after waiting 3 hours in the line.They said there is nothing in the system. Has anyone else encountered the same problem? I was told I need to wait it doesnt seem right there is no record of my tax return yet when I even had proof of them receiving my tax return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

@maillyl - paper returns probably are easily a 6 month backlog...... nothing to do but wait.  80% of the IRS backlog is paper returns.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue#coll...

"As of May 27, 2022, we had 10.2 million unprocessed individual returns which include returns received before 2022, and new tax year 2021 returns. Of these, 2 million returns require error correction or other special handling, and 8.2 million are paper returns waiting to be reviewed and processed. This work does not typically require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If a correction is made to any Recovery Rebate Credit, Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

maillyl
Returning Member

Thanks for the reply. It bothers me that the only reason i sent via mail was because the same error that have from me every year. But makes sense the backlog, just hope it doesn't take 6 months.

You might consider freezing your kids' SSN's.

@maillyl - you might apply for confidential PINs from the IRS website.   Only those who know the PIN (presumably only you!) can submit a tax return with your children's social security number listed on the return. 

maillyl
Returning Member

Great, this is good information. Another thing that I want to add is that the previous 3 years. (18-20) I managed to e-filled and later got the letter about someone claiming my kids but the 3 times after I call, they only seemed to wanted to confirm my identity. So not sure why this keep happening, but I will take in consideration the recommendations here.

@maillyl - it is possible in prior years you filed before whomever else did.  This year, they filed first, hence you could not efile.

the PIN takes care of that situation.  With the PIN, you can efile and the other person can't efile (and if they paper file, it's going to go through a lot of scrutiny because they don't have the PIN).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies