Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS Amendment Refund Delay

Hello,

I e-filed an amendment in Sept 2021 (6 months ago) for my 2020 taxes using TurboTax. IRS owes me a refund if the amendment is processed.

After 16 weeks or so, the status said something like:

"Take Action! Please see below for additional info about your amended return. Your amendment was received on XXXX. However, it has not been processed. We apologized for the inconvenience. Please call XXXX between the hours of XXXX and XXXX, Monday through Friday. You will need a copy of your amended return."

Looking online, it seems like this is just a default message that shows up when the 16-week initial-estimate period since amendment filing is over and it does not necessarily indicate there was an issue with my return. So, I did not call the number. I suspect I won't get through anyway given the wait time. My amendment was fairly simple, stemming from an issue of corrected W2 from my employer.

How long should I keep waiting before I torture myself with calling the IRS and being on hold for hours? Anybody can share their experiences and advice as well?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

IRS Amendment Refund Delay

Did you hear the IRS commissioner's testimony today?

He expects all the pending tax returns to be completed by December 2022.

The congressmembers seemed to be pleased with this response.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies