Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chay
Level 1

International Student - Additional Tax Refund 2020

I hope you are safe from Covid-19.
I am an international student, a recent graduate student completing a master's degree at an US university in December  2019. After finishing my degree, I went back to my home located in another country in February 2020.

Before moving back to my home, I went to the Human Resource office at my university to complete my tax submission (I had worked as a TA for Fall 2019). In the process of preparing my tax application, the Human Resource office told me that I needed to submit my tax application like an American because I had lived in USA for more than 10 yearsTherefore, I followed the instruction. I changed my mailing address to my home address. Consequently, I got all the necessary documents. As a result, I used Turbo Tax to submit my tax applications, and the website told me that I succeeded to submit all the necessary information. After completing the submission, I received the first tax refund. 

I though that the first tax refund was all the tax refund I would get. However, I have checked my US-bank account today, and it showed that I got an additional tax refund. I think it is a tax refund for Covid-19 (I think it is about CAREs ACT) but, as an international student, I want to know whether I can use the second tax refund or should return to the government because I am no longer an employee at my university for Spring 2020. Please help me find a way to deal with this problem. If I should return it to the government, please help me find a way to return it to the government. If I can use it, should I worry about returning some of the amount later this year?

Thank you so much for your help.

Sincerely,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies