Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I amended my 2022 tax return, should I use that as the basis for my 2023 tax return?

I realized after starting my 2023 return that I had to go back and amend my 2022 return.  I've done that, and it changes my tax bite.  I corrected the major change (having to do with capital loss carryover) on my 2023 return, but now I'm wondering if other things changed, and whether I should junk the 2023 return and start over, using the amended 2022 return as the new starting point.  Is that necessary (to pick up whatever other changes might have occurred) or not?  And if it makes sense to start over, how do I do that within the 2023 program?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If I amended my 2022 tax return, should I use that as the basis for my 2023 tax return?

The only things likely to affect your 2023 return would be carryovers from last year. You mention the corrected capital loss carryover has already been reported on your 2023 return. An other possible carryover would be passive losses, which would typically come from a rental activity or entry on a schedule K-1. It would be reported on a schedule 8582. In most instances a carryover would be reported on a separate schedule. I suggest you look at the schedules in your return and see if any of them list a carryover and if so, make sure it is accounted for on your 2023 return. If you do that, it would not likely be necessary to start your 2023 return all over.

If you want to start your return over, you will see an option to do that in the Tax Tools menu option on your left menu bar in the online version of TurboTax:

1. Choose Tax Tools from your left menu bar in TurboTax Online
  2. Choose Tools
  3. Choose Clear and Start Over under Other Helpful Links

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

you said your tax changed

you want to import 2022 revised tax return when you start your 2023 TurboTax return.

You want to do this the even if you did not amend your 2022 return !

@Andy19008 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies