Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want to amend my 2022 tax return, but i didn't file them using turbotax last year and idk how to do it through here

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I want to amend my 2022 tax return, but i didn't file them using turbotax last year and idk how to do it through here

The best way to amend your 2022 tax return is by using the same method that you used to file the original return. The amended return uses the original return as a starting point. If you amend your return using the same method you used to file it, your original return is already there. To prepare an amended return with TurboTax, you would first have to recreate your original return in TurboTax, making sure that it exactly matches the return that you filed, then amend the recreated return.

You cannot amend a 2022 tax return in TurboTax Online. You have to use the CD/Download TurboTax software for 2022. You can purchase a download at the following link.

Past Years' Products

You might get a better price from an authorized reseller that still has TurboTax for 2022 in stock. The CD/Download TurboTax software can only be used on a Windows or Mac computer, not on a mobile device or a Chromebook.

After you install the software on your computer, create a new tax return that exactly duplicates the 2022 tax return that you originally filed. You do not make the changes for the amended return at this point. Check the new return to make sure it exactly matches the original return that you filed. Save the return.

Now use Save As on the File menu to make a copy of the recreated return with a different name. You could add "Amended" to the name. Then begin the procedure for amending the return. Click Federal Taxes, then Other Tax Situations. On the Other Tax Situations screen, scroll down to Other Tax Forms and click the Start button for "Amend a return."

An amended return is filed on a special form, Form 1040-X. You will not be able to e-file the amended return. You will have to print it, sign it, and file it by mail. It takes the IRS 20 weeks or more to process an amended return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies