Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've recently gotten divorced I filed single for the 1st time in 14 years & the irs took a 2018 overpayment due from his taxes out from my refund. What can I do?

My ex was the breadwinner I had no source of income but whatever money he gave me for bills and living expenses. He filed taxes every year and the most I participated in that was signing where the sticky tab was.  When we got divorced he lied to the courts saying he had no money to pay me spousal support, he was working for my brother under the table and he doesn't fight fair so I opted out of trying to take him to court for support... So being left with all the bills the rent and not having a single penny to my name I filed for taxes because I got unemployment benefits for a couple weeks etc. When I get my refund back there was $983 taken out of my already small tax return and I was in dire need for the whole refund because I was so far behind on everything. As you can imagine... I'm having a really hard time getting on my feet after not having any structure or schedule or balance or job for so many years I'm overwhelmed and to lose what I needed to survive due to his tax issues from 2018 is confusing me. I need help figuring this out...
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I've recently gotten divorced I filed single for the 1st time in 14 years & the irs took a 2018 overpayment due from his taxes out from my refund. What can I do?

You need to see an attorney. Unfortunately, "All I did was sign" is not a valid excuse. You are expected to know what you are signing when you file a tax return. You can try the Innocent Spouse route. https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/innocent-spouse-relief

You can also turn your ex into the IRS. https://www.irs.gov/compliance/whistleblower-office

TomD8
Level 15

Unfortunately, "Innocent Spouse" relief only work if the original 2018 return understated the actual tax due because of erroneous entries - such as understating one's income.  If the original return was complete and correct, you have no recourse through the IRS.  As @leeloo said, "I didn't know what I was signing" is not an acceptable excuse.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies