Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've currently been incarcerated for the past 9 yrs. and want to know what options I have to amend my taxes since I've missed the two year due date to file an amendment?

I've currently been incarcerated for the past 9 yrs. and want to know what options I have to amend my taxes since I've missed the two year due date to file an amendment? I'm not seeking a return, only trying to reduce the amount I owe with the deductions that weren't filed. When I first got arrested IRS officers came to visit me in prison and were trying to get a payment, but due to my inability to pay because of my circumstances they said that they would freeze payment until I'm released. Since I've been incarcerated I've lost a property to property taxes due to vandalism and was wondering if at some point could this loss be claimed as a deduction at some point in the future? God bless and thank you for your help! 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I've currently been incarcerated for the past 9 yrs. and want to know what options I have to amend my taxes since I've missed the two year due date to file an amendment?

Unfortunately, you cannot amend your taxes from 9 years ago to lower your tax liability from back then.  There are other options such as Offer In Compromise that you may be able to look at. https://www.irs.gov/payments/offer-in-compromise

You may want to contact a local tax expert for help with something like that though.  

As for the vandalism, casualty and theft losses are no longer deductible under the new tax laws. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Unfortunately, you cannot amend your taxes from 9 years ago to lower your tax liability from back then.  There are other options such as Offer In Compromise that you may be able to look at. https://www.irs.gov/payments/offer-in-compromise

You may want to contact a local tax expert for help with something like that though.  

As for the vandalism, casualty and theft losses are no longer deductible under the new tax laws. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies