Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've been disabled for the past 10 years, so how to I lodge my bank account number & bank routing number with the IRS?

I've been disabled and on SSI for the past 10 years, so how to I lodge my bank account number & bank routing number with the IRS? Note that SSI is not SSDI as I did not qualify for that having worked 8 of the prior 10 years as an American overseas. SSDI would make the whole filing much easier as the benefit would be large enough to be income higher than that standard deduction. 

I haven't even bothered to file since 2011 as less than $9000 a year I've been getting in SSI disability is far less than the USA minimum poverty level or the standard deduction.

As the last two times stimulus checks were cut I didn't receive any check because I was an American overseas working during the Bush admin and on SSI disability during the Obama admin I thought I probably won't get a stimulus check anyway. I decided to file anyway and did and it was accepted but since I have not enough income to tax I wasn't asked for my bank account or bank routing numbers by the TurboTax filing process. TurboTax needs to make a correction for that.

So how do I lodge those numbers with the IRS since the TurboTax tax filing process did not do it?

I'm not at all confident in the SSA's ability to serve as an intermediary to route any stimulus check to my bank using the information they have on file for me. Every time I deal with the SSA about anything, it's a we never heard of what I'm asking about, no, we don't do that or aren't that (when they are), or given me a different answer depending on which worker I ask the question of.  In fact, I think that's why I've heard that the IRS is cutting paper checks to mail at much delay, extra expense, extra travel, and extra exposure to all those things the money in those checks were supposed to help prevent: because the SSA and IRS are not equipped to cooperate productively. I guess that can get fixed for the possibility of similar situations in the future but it's of not much help now.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I've been disabled for the past 10 years, so how to I lodge my bank account number & bank routing number with the IRS?

Treasury Department is supposed to get a feed from Social Security of all the relevant information , including bank account info.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Treasury Department is supposed to get a feed from Social Security of all the relevant information , including bank account info.

Ah, thanks. so they worked out a cooperation agreement. I had just read that they were cutting checks that could take up to 20 weeks to distribute. I'll take your answer as more reliable than whatever newspaper that was, which might of been old news.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies