Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I traded crypto on FTX before the bankruptcy, and now I can't access transaction history. I know my total earned, but have no other info. How do I file?

I traded multiple cryptocurrencies on FTX throughout 2022, before the bankruptcy. I am now unable to access my transaction history because of the service shutdown. I can look at my total earned, but I can't see individual transaction information, and I can't make an API key. I was also not sent a 1099-K.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I traded crypto on FTX before the bankruptcy, and now I can't access transaction history. I know my total earned, but have no other info. How do I file?

if you know how much you gained through SELL transactions, that's what you have to report on Form 8949.

If you don't know the details just enter one line on Form 8949 with date acquired "various" and date sold as 12/31/2022. Use Box category "C" since you don't have a 1099-B.

In description, put "FTX Exchange".

@evan770406 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You need to arrive at a cost basis for the investment sales. That could be simple if you look through bank records and add up the money you invested. Otherwise, you would have to look at the number of shares you sold and look up the share price around the time or times you acquired them to come up with a reasonable estimate of the cost of the shares sold. Document your investigation as best as you can and keep that documentation as support for your entries in the case of an audit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies