Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

360bh2016

I think a family member accidentally threw out my 3rd w2. I haven’t filed my taxes yet. How do I go about applying for a duplicate? My former employer won’t answer.

Is there a way to search the irs for the w2?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I think a family member accidentally threw out my 3rd w2. I haven’t filed my taxes yet. How do I go about applying for a duplicate? My former employer won’t answer.

Call the IRS toll free at 800-829-1040 or make an appointment to visit an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center (TAC). The IRS will send your employer a letter requesting that they furnish you a corrected Form W-2 within ten days

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If you haven't already, you could check to see whether the W-2 is importable in TurboTax

In addition to contacting the IRS by phone or at a Taxpayer Assistance Center as suggested by @Bsch4477, you can get a wage and income transcript, containing the Federal tax information your employer reported to the Social Security Administration (SSA), by visiting their Get Your Tax Record page. Refer to Transcript Types and Ways to Order Them and About Tax Transcripts for more information.

You can also use Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return. Check the box for Form W-2, specify which tax year(s) you need, and mail or fax the completed form. Most requests will be processed within 10 business days from the IRS received date.

@360bh2016 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies