gabardoin

I received unemployment compensation in 2020 and I had federal taxes taken out but not state. Why do I need to amend my state return to receive the unemployment refund?

rjs

If your state allows the unemployment exclusion, the refund is based on the tax that was calculated on your state tax return, not on the tax that was withheld from your unemployment benefits. You paid tax on the unemployment when you filed your tax return, even though you did not have any tax withheld.

rjs

Go to the following FAQ to check the amendment requirements for your state.

Do I need to amend my state return to update my unemployment?