Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received notice cp2000 . I file jointly with my spouse, but the IRS says his W-2 information was not included although I entered in his information. Please help

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

I received notice cp2000 . I file jointly with my spouse, but the IRS says his W-2 information was not included although I entered in his information. Please help

One of the forms that will print out with your tax return is the W2/W2g Summary. Find that form and check to see whether your spouse's W-2 information is listed on that form.  Also check to make sure that you entered his name on the W-2, not yours.

If your spouse's W-2 is on the summary, make sure that the total wages listed on the summary are the same as the wages listed on your 1040. If both of those are the same, then you can reply to the IRS that they are mistaken, and you do not owe additional tax.

If your spouse's W-2 is missing, then you may need to agree with the IRS letter.

Do be careful in comparing numbers. There is always the possibility that someone has been claiming your spouse's Social Security Number, and the wages the IRS has found are not his. Compare the numbers carefully before you agree with the IRS letter.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

One of the forms that will print out with your tax return is the W2/W2g Summary. Find that form and check to see whether your spouse's W-2 information is listed on that form.  Also check to make sure that you entered his name on the W-2, not yours.

If your spouse's W-2 is on the summary, make sure that the total wages listed on the summary are the same as the wages listed on your 1040. If both of those are the same, then you can reply to the IRS that they are mistaken, and you do not owe additional tax.

If your spouse's W-2 is missing, then you may need to agree with the IRS letter.

Do be careful in comparing numbers. There is always the possibility that someone has been claiming your spouse's Social Security Number, and the wages the IRS has found are not his. Compare the numbers carefully before you agree with the IRS letter.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies