Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a notice in 2018 from the NYS department of taxation that i had outstanding taxes from 2014, which i paid. Does this qualify for the SALT deduction?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

I received a notice in 2018 from the NYS department of taxation that i had outstanding taxes from 2014, which i paid. Does this qualify for the SALT deduction?

Yes. If you paid prior year taxes to your state, you can deduct those taxes, but not any interest or penalties, as an itemized deduction in the year you actually paid the taxes.

Please note that, beginning in 2018, state and local income taxes, real estate, and sales tax (SALT) deductions are capped at $10,000 ($5,000 if married filing separately).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

Yes. If you paid prior year taxes to your state, you can deduct those taxes, but not any interest or penalties, as an itemized deduction in the year you actually paid the taxes.

Please note that, beginning in 2018, state and local income taxes, real estate, and sales tax (SALT) deductions are capped at $10,000 ($5,000 if married filing separately).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies