Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I pwe 378 in state tax but can't pay it right now just lost my job, the irs already took my entire 2k refund, filed married joint, claimed 0 an I think married on w2

The irs already took my whole 2k refund, I found an old letter saying I had back taxes from 2013, does thst even sound right? But since I'm still technically married I filed married filing jointly, but I think I claimed 0 and married filing separately when I started the job I just lost? But they still took out at least 250$ each check I had, so I'm not sure what to do...I filed my state today, but I just lost my job and it's been hard enough to scrape by, they take everything from us. But apparently I don't qualify for a payment plan.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I pwe 378 in state tax but can't pay it right now just lost my job, the irs already took my entire 2k refund, filed married joint, claimed 0 an I think married on w2

The IRS generally has 10 years – from the date your tax was assessed – to collect the tax and any associated penalties and interest from you. 

This time period is called the Collection Statute Expiration Date (CSED).  See here.

If you believe that the seizure is not correct, contact a local tax professional who is familiar with this issue.

You may want to contact your state department of revenue to see whether there is a payment plan available to you.  See your state here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies