jlewis19971

I paid my taxes and then had to amend it afterwards. Will I get my money back for the first amount I paid or will it just be deducted from the new amount?

I filed taxes and had to pay state taxes. I paid it and then realized that I had to amend my taxes and now I owe a different amount. When I pay that will I get the money I paid from taxes the first time back or will it be deducted from the new amount from when I amended my taxes?
CherylW

When you amend your return, you're starting out at zero.  Anything you get back on your original return you'll get back.  Anything you owe with your original return you'll owe.   

The amended amount (whether you are getting an additional refund OR owe additional tax) is a separate transaction. 

So in your case, you'll pay the original amount first, then owe on your amended. 

You have till April 18 to pay the amount due with your amended return.