Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I only worked in US for 90 days in 2018.Am i not supposed to get all my taxes back? Turbo tax returns after filling shows I'm only getting a part of my taxes in return.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I only worked in US for 90 days in 2018.Am i not supposed to get all my taxes back? Turbo tax returns after filling shows I'm only getting a part of my taxes in return.

First, you need to determine if you are eligible to use TurboTax.   Please answer all the questions below, then I can ask someone familiar with international filing to assist you.

What is your citizenship status?  TurboTax can only prepare returns for US citizens and "resident aliens for tax purposes."   If you are considered a non-resident alien, then TurboTax cannot prepare non-resident alien returns Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, but there is an affiliate partner that can.

If you were in the USA on a visa, what type of visa?   And when did you first come to the US?   Was 2018 your first year here?

In your question you said "after filling", so I don't know what that means.  Did you mean after filling out the forms, or did you mean after filing the return?  In other words, did you already file the 2018 return yet or not?

I've been working in US since April 2016 on H1B visa. I stopped my assignment in March of 2018 and returned home to India. I'm doing tax returns for 3 months that I worked in US for 2018. It was a typo for "filing". What i meant by filing, is the draft that is ready to be filed in turbo tax website.

So it looks you are saying you were present in the USA on a H1B visa from April 2016 through end of March 2018.    I'll ask someone familiar with that situation to assist you.

@pk  Are you please able to assist this international filer when you are next in the forum?  Thanks!

Also, in the meantime while waiting for assistance, what type of return (1040/A/EZ or 1040NR/NR-EZ) did you file in 2016 and 2017?  And how did you prepare your 2016 and 2017 returns?

Yes, I did use turbo tax in 2017. I'm not sure what type of return it was though.
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Having gone through the above , as I  understand, (a) you were admitted  with H-1 in Mar-2016; (b) you left the country in April 2018.  The question now is your immigration status for the 2018 filing.

For 2016, you would have been a resident for tax purposes  or dual status  taxpayer and probably filed a form 1040;

For 2017 you file form 1040 as a resident of tax purposes.

For 2018, you would be a dual status tax payer --- From Jan 1 through your date of departure / termination of your H-1b visa  you are a Resident for Tax Purposes filing form 1040.  For the period thereafter you are a Non-Resident Alien  and this is pertinent IF, and ONLY IF, you had any US sourced? connected income  that is to be taxed by the USA.   Absent that you file a form 1040 covering the period when you were a US Resident for Tax purposes .

Namaste ji

This seems to be complicated. Could you suggest how do I go ahead with this? What is the action item that i need to do? Do I need to pay taxes for my earnings from Jan2018 to March218b or not.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies