Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I only received half of my direct deposit tax refund.

2 Replies
Opus 17
Level 15

I only received half of my direct deposit tax refund.

First, be aware that the state and IRS pay separately.  You may have received one and not the other.

Second, if it was the federal (IRS) deposit that was short, check the IRS refund tracker. It will show the amount actually paid.  If the IRS reduced your refund, they may have adjusted your return, or they may be holding part of it to verify something in your tax return, like a new job or a dependent.  They should send a letter explaining the action in about 3 weeks.  

Your refund also might be reduced if you chose to have your Turbotax fees deducted from your refund (there is also a service charge for this).  You can log into your account online and download or print the pdf for "all forms and worksheets" and look at the pages of instructions which show the fees, or you can look under the Account menu, pick Tools, and look at your fees there.  The bank that handles that transaction can be contacted here: You may contact SBTPG, toll-free, at 1-877-908-7228 or go to their secure website if you need more information.

Finally, if you still can't figure it out, you can call customer support. For customer support hours and link, see below. Use the web form and type your question or a keyword.  You will get an appropriate phone number for your issue. (You will not get a phone number if you use the link outside of operating hours.)

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Level 3

I only received half of my direct deposit tax refund.

Access the IRS web site at and select "Where is my refund" on the right side of the screen.  Also select "Where is my refund" on the second screen and answer "OK" to the warning message.  The next screen will have fields for SSN, filing status, and refund amount.  Use the first SSN listed on your tax return, select the correct filing status (single, married filing joint, etc), enter the refund amount as reported on your tax return, and select :"Submit".  You should get a status message advising you if part of your refund was held back and why it was held back.  Some reasons for holding part of your refund is unpaid child support, unpaid education loans, unpaid mortgage credit received in a prior year, unpaid tax from a prior year, or unpaid VA medical expenses.  There are other types of unpaid expenses the IRS may hold out of your refund.  They should provide you a brief explanation of the reason for the hold back and give you a number to call.  If all fails, call 800-829-1040, follow the prompts and wait for an operator to answer your call.  Allow 30-60 minutes for this call.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings