If you are using the desktop software (CD/download), then the answer would be different. In desktop software, the DO NOT FILE watermark is removed by running the updater to get the updated forms.
No. You do not send pages that say DO NOT FILE. They won't process the return. Here's how to print an online return without the watermark.
I assume your return is unfiled--that you have not filed by any method, either efiled or mailed.
Try this method, and if it doesn't work, then use the second method.
- Log in and go to your 2016 Tax Timeline.
- There will no longer be a "Take me to my return" button. So open your return this way:
- Scroll to "Some things you can do."
- Choose "Add a state." (you don't really add one--that's just to open the return.)
- Once the return is open, since you haven't yet filed, you can correct/edit anything in the return if necessary. Some of the forms may have updated since you were last there.
- Then go to the REVIEW tab and step through that to be sure all is well.
- Then go through the screens at the FILE tab and select to "file by mail".
- It should then offer you a chance to print the return and Filing Instructions. Is the watermark gone?
If the watermark is still there, then try this:
- While your return is still open, click at the top on MY ACCOUNT.
- Then choose PRINT CENTER.
- Then choose "Print/save/view this year's return." It may offer you a PDF "as filed with government" and one with "all forms for government and worksheets" and one for "all forms." See if one of those has clear forms without the watermark.