Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dcgilk

I need to make changes to the 1040, which has not been filed yet. Can't get back into my 1040. Says I need to wait for 1040X. I don't want to amend, just make changes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I need to make changes to the 1040, which has not been filed yet. Can't get back into my 1040. Says I need to wait for 1040X. I don't want to amend, just make changes

You can get back into your return using the steps here below:

• You should be on the Tax Timeline now
  • Scroll down to SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO section
  • Click Add a state (not really adding one, just a way to get back into return) 
  • And make the changes you need to

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You can get back into your return using the steps here below:

• You should be on the Tax Timeline now
  • Scroll down to SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO section
  • Click Add a state (not really adding one, just a way to get back into return) 
  • And make the changes you need to

dcgilk

Tried this but still can't get to my tax forms.  I have a Mac.   My turbo tax was not at the top but did try add a state.  
dcgilk

Tried this but still can't get to my tax forms.  "My turbo tax" Is not at the top.  I'm using a Mac if that makes any diff.  Did see add a state but that took me back to needing the 1040x form.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

It could be due to MAC. I just created a program, "filed" by mail and went right back in with the state.
dcgilk

I'm working on taxes again.  I've amended some figures that I failed to put in originally and it acts like I'm filing an amended return.  I'm just wanting to make corrections.  I did NOT file the original returns that I printed.  
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

When you say acts like an amended, did you click the amended button? How is it acting?
dcgilk

Maybe the wrong usage of the word "acting".  It's appearing to me that I would be filing an amended return along with the original return, but I never filed the original return. I'm just wanting to make some changes to it. Does this make sense?
dcgilk

Also, is there an extra charge for amending?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If you use a form that was not on your original return then yes. For example if you took the standard deduction before and now choose to itemize. When I go into my practice return, that I say I paper filed, and now say add a state, it allows me to make changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies